250ft Chameleon 3D Ink® (Color-Changing PLA Filament) $18 Ea.
3D Ink® (PLA Filament) is polylactic acid, a non-toxic biodegradable thermoplastic and one of the most commonly used 3D printing materials. PLA is a great entry-level filament because it is exceptionally easy to work with. PLA does not require a heated bed, makes very rigid prints, allows for consistent extrusion and bonding, and doesn’t warp much. The ability to produce some of the most accurate, good-looking parts makes it excellent for detailed prototyping. M3D offers PLA in over 29 vibrant colors across various translucency levels and Chameleon 3D Ink® even has a color-changing feature!
Chameleon changes to a rich white color when exposed to a specific temperature. Available in 4 temperature modes:
- ‘Hot’ (60°C/140°F) Chameleon 3D Ink changes color to white when exposed to temperatures greater than 60°C or 140°F.
- ‘Warm’ (45°C/113°F) Chameleon 3D Ink changes color to white when exposed to temperatures greater than 45°C or 113°F.
- ‘Touch’ (30°C/86°F) Chameleon 3D Ink changes color to white when exposed to temperatures greater than 30°C or 86°F. The heat from your hands will generally reach these temperatures.
- ‘Ice’ (15°C/59°F) Chameleon 3D Ink changes color to white when exposed to temperatures greater than 15°C or 59°F. This means the filament is white at room temperature and will return to its color when exposed to colder temperatures.
* Nebula and Tiger are tri-chrome. Nebula (Purple-Blue) changes its color to the first color (Pink) at 30°C ('Touch') and to the second (White) at 60°C ('Hot'). Tiger (Dark Brown) changes its color to the first color (Orange) at 30°C ('Touch') and to the second (White) at 45°C ('Warm').
- Filament Diameter: 1.75mm (not chipped, can be used with almost all 3D printers). The 3-letter code printed on the spool will automatically set the correct extrusion temperature in the M3D software.
- Recommended Extrusion Temperature: 200 - 230°C
- Recommended Heated Print Bed Temperature: 45 - 60°C when used, but it is not required
- Recommended Build Surfaces: M3D printbed sheet, painter's tape, glue stick, glass plate, PEI
- Other Printer Requirements: part cooling fan